Strawberry and Cheese Refrigerator Pie
Reprinted with permission from the American Institute for Cancer Research
- 1 prepared whole-wheat graham cracker pie crust (9 inches)
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1/2 cup strawberry fruit spread
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Place crust on baking sheet and bake 8 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Place cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in small bowl. Using hand mixer on medium speed or wooden spoon, blend until combined and smooth. Spread cheese mixture evenly over bottom of pie crust. Refrigerate until set, 1-2 hours.
- Before serving, cut off tops of strawberries. Halve largest ones and place in bowl. Cut remaining berries lengthwise in quarters and place in another bowl. Melt fruit spread in bowl in microwave or in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Mix in lemon juice, if using, and divide hot fruit spread between two bowls of berries. Using fork, toss until fruit is coated.
- Spoon quartered fruit into center of pie, turning most pieces cut-side down. Arrange larger halves in circle around edge of pie with flat side facing rim of crust and pointing toward center of pie. Fill open spaces with any remaining fruit spread.
- Serve pie within 1 hour.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images (Strawberry and Cheese Refrigerator Pie)