Cap off a day of play with dinner outdoors
(Family Features) Enjoying the great outdoors is a perfect way to create fun memories with family or friends. All that fresh air is sure to work up your appetite, so be sure to plan a delicious meal to top off all the merriment.
Get those taste buds fired up for a delicious meal with a flavorful starter like
Explore more family-friendly recipes to enjoy outdoors this summer at culinary.net.
Smart Starters and Sides
There’s plenty to learn from the Mediterranean diet, and this recipe is proof. A variety of colorful cancer-fighting veggies, flavorful herbs and spices, and a bit of healthy fat make for a perfect starter or accompaniment to a grilled protein for a well-rounded meal. Find more recipes to help you eat well at AICR.org.
Reprinted with permission from the American Institute for Cancer Research
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 15 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded, washed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons green olives, pitted and chopped (capers may be substituted)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1/2 large red onion, cut in half and then into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 small loaf crusty whole-grain French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices and halved
- In mixing bowl, whisk together garlic, mustard, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In large bowl, gently combine basil, cucumber, tomatoes and olives.
- Brush bell peppers and onion slices on one side with oil mixture. Place oil-side down on hot grill and cook 3-4 minutes. Brush other side with oil mixture, turn over and cook additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from grill. On cutting board, cut peppers into 1/2-inch slices and separate onion rings. Add peppers and onions to vegetable mix. Add remaining oil mixture and toss to coat.
- Toast both sides of bread until browned. On serving platter, layer bread and top with vegetables and basil mixture.