This Amazing Apple Pie recipe is featured on the back of our Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix packages. An amazing pie that everyone can enjoy!
- 1 package Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix as prepared, see notes
- 4 pounds Granny Smith Apples peeled and cored, about 8 apples
- 1/2 cup Sugar plus 1 Tablespoon for topping
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest from one lemon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Egg White or 1/8 cup of milk for topping
- Prepare pie crusts according to basic instructions. Keep dough for top crust refrigerated. Roll out bottom crust and place in a 9- inch pie pan. Place pan in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut apples into 1/4- inch slices and place in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and spices. Stir to coat.
- Remove pie pan from refrigerator. Pour apple mixture into pie shell. Remove dough for top crust from refrigerator. Roll out top crust and place over filling.
- Trim dough edges, leaving 1/2- inch overhang. Tuck overhanging dough beneath itself and flute edges.
- Cut three slits in top crust for steam to escape as the filling bakes. Place pie in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and and brush lightly with egg white or milk and sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Bake on center rack for 25 minutes at 425°F. Reduce temperature to 375°F and place a foil lined baking sheet on the lower rack to catch juice if it bubbles over.
- Continue baking for 30-35 minutes more, until crust is golden brown and juices bubble. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour before serving.
Source: Bobs Red Mill