Baked Apple Pie Layer Bars
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1/2 cup Tree Top or Seneca Apple Sauce
- 5 cups sliced, peeled apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sift together flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut shortening in with pastry blender or two knives.
- Put egg yolk into measuring cup and add milk to make 2/3 cup.
- Add to shortening mixture.
- Mix just enough until dough shapes into a ball.
- Roll out half the dough into 15 x 11-inch rectangle.
- Transfer to baking sheet.
- Cover with corn flakes.
- Mix apple sauce together with apple slices, and add mixture on top of corn flakes.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Roll out other half of dough for top crust.
- Place over apples.
- Pinch edges together.
- Beat egg white until stiff and spread on top crust.
- Bake in hot 400°F oven for 40 minutes.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Combine confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice to make glaze. While hot, drizzle glaze over top.
Source: Tree Top
© 2016 Eating Naturally Magazine