This is a tangy cool-season comfort food that‘s loaded with distinctive flavors and antioxidant-rich ingredients. The blended cashews add a creamy dimension to this soup, along with muscle-fueling protein and heart-healthy oils.
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, raw (peeled and washed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup gingerroot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups cashew nuts, unsalted and either raw or dry-roasted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (orange juice may be substituted)
- Curry and/or coriander powder, one pinch or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chives or parsley for garnish
- Peel and cut carrots into half-inch pieces.
- Place oil or butter in large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; sauté for about 15 minutes. Add broth, carrots, and (if using) wine. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered over medium heat until carrots are tender (about 45 minutes).
- Purée in blender with cashews. Season with juice, curry, coriander, salt, and pepper, as desired.
- Serve hot or cold with garnish.
Adapted from Morris Press Cookbooks; cookbooks4sale.com