- 1/2 cup fresh sawtooth or basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground red pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 Japanese or baby eggplants, halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons soft feta cheese
- 2 medium red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 1 cup arugula
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Puree vinaigrette ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Lightly score the inside of the eggplants, drizzle with olive oil, and lay skin-side down on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with more olive oil and roast for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place eggplant halves face-up on four serving plates, season with salt and pepper, and divide feta cheese, roasted peppers, and arugula among the four halves.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette (you may have some left over).
- Serve open-faced.
© 2018 Eating Naturally Magazine