Bring the health benefits of a Mediterranean-style program with Italian flair and flavor.
- Mixed lettuce for decoration
- 4 medium potatoes
- 12 oz green beans, cleaned (ends removed)
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 9 oz canned tuna, drained
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil, cut into 4-5 pieces
- Pitted olives (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4-5 basil leaves
- Wash the lettuce and the tomatoes. Dry and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, boil the whole potatoes for about 20-25 minutes. They should be tender but not crumble. Drain and allow to cool.
- Peel and cut each potato into 10-12 pieces.
- Meanwhile blanch the green beans in water or steam for 6-7 minutes. They should be crispy.
- Cook the eggs in a saucepan covered with water for about 8 minutes (counting the minutes as the water begins to boil). Drain and place in cold water to cool them. Remove the shell and let cool completely.
- Cut each into 4 wedges.
- You can prepare four individual plates or one large salad to serve at the table.
- Arrange the lettuce on the plate, then add the green beans, the cherry tomatoes (cut in half), onions, cucumbers, potatoes, eggs, tuna, anchovies and olives.
- Season with olive oil, a pinch of salt (optional) and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Note: You can replace the green beans with fresh broad beans just blanched in water and, if you wish, also add some green peppers.
Based on the cooking and eating style of Italy, The Mamma Mia! Diet features olive oil, fruits and vegetables, nuts, legumes, fish and poultry, whole grains and, yes, wine!