These are my favorite pickled beets, so full of flavor. I can these and they are wonderful. I eat some beets out of the container than add some peeled hard boiled eggs. so wonderful.
35-40 small beets, unpeeled
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole cloves
- In a large pot cook the unpeeled beets until fork-tender (do not overcook) cool and then remove the skins.
- Slice into about 1/4-inch thick or cut into cubes.
- Pack snuggly into the canning jars (be careful not to bruise).
- In a large saucepan combine the sugar, water, vinegar, ground cloves, allspice, cinnamon and whole cloves; bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes (no sugar granules should remain).
- Quickly pour over the beets in the jars, leaving 3/4-inch headspace (the liquid should go no further than the shoulder of the jar!).
- Process in a boiling water bath for 12 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.