Turkey and Spinach Potato Lasagna
- 2 pounds peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white
- 1 10 oz package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Coat potato slices with olive oil, and layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until slices are firmly tender and beginning to brown on the edges. Remove, and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey, onion, and garlic, browning meat. Drain fat. Return to burner, adding tomato sauce and herbs. Cover, and let simmer.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta and cottage cheeses, egg, and spinach.
- Arrange half the potato slices in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread with half of the spinach-cheese mixture. Top with half of the meat sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, and if desired, sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
© 2016 Eating Naturally Magazine