(Family Features) When the weather outside is frightful, we could all use a cozy soup for supper. A steaming bowl of Rustic Vegetable-Beet Soup provides instant comfort.
The ease and convenience of Aunt Nellie’s pickled beets can’t be “beet”– no need to spend time peeling or pickling. This colorful mix of antioxidant-rich beets, sweet potato and carrots joins tender zucchini to create a soup that tastes like it simmered all afternoon; but in fact, comes together in under an hour. The sweet-tangy beets add an unexpected but welcome layer of flavor to this hearty soup.
For the finishing touch, a garnish of vibrant green, lemony gremolata brightens the soup’s flavor. Garlic, lemon and parsley may seem ordinary, but they come alive when combined. Crisp flatbread makes a perfect accompaniment to this meal-in-a-bowl.
For more recipes, or to learn more about Aunt Nellie’s beets and other products, visit www.AuntNellies.com.
Rustic Vegetable-Beet Soup
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole Pickled Beets, well drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini (about 5 ounces each), coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (about 14 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, optional
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; saute about 5 minutes or until softened. Add carrots, sweet potato and garlic. Saute 3-5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini, broth and seasoned salt, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chickpeas; heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, as desired. Stir in parsley and dill. Stir in beets. Serve immediately topped with gremolata, if desired.
- To make gremolata, combine all ingredients.