Here is a great alternative to the Caesar salad that uses a combination of winter greens. The anchovies (which are sustainable and nutritious) and lemon juice temper any bitterness of the greens, but feel free to vary their amounts according to your tastes.
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon grey sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, freshly ground, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Spirulina Powder
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 fillets white anchovy, minced and chopped
- 10 cups mixed bitter salad greens, such as chicory, radicchio, and escarole; chopped
- Place garlic to taste in a large salad bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice, vinegar, and spirulina; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in oil in a slow steady stream until well combined. Stir in anchovies to taste. Add salad greens and toss.
- Pro tip: Prepare the dressing, then cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Soure: Chef Gerard Viverito, check out his 8 Easy Ways to Eat More Sustainably.