2 tablespoons bacon fat
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 bunches Lacinato kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
1 apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 cup dried sweet cherries
¼ cup hard cider
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Melt the bacon fat in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Toss the red onion into the hot fat and fry until fragrant and softened, about three minutes.
- Stir in the apples and fry them until tender enough to pierce with a fork, about four minutes, then toss in the kale, and cook until barely wilted. It should only take a minute.
- Stir the sweet cherries and hard cider into the wilted kale and apples.
- Simmer until the liquid is mostly evaporated, about five minutes.
- Stir in the apple cider vinegar and serve.
Source: Reprinted with permission from The Nourished Kitchen written and photographed by Jennifer McGruther